BEc, LLB (UWS)
Legal secretary: Wendy Exon
+61 3 8600 8804
Basel is a construction lawyer and member of the firm’s Construction and Infrastructure team. His practice includes advising and acting for developers, principals, head contractors, subcontractors and owners in both ‘front-end’ and ‘back-end’ construction and infrastructure matters, including all aspects of contract management and disputes.
Basel’s approach to his practice is one of pragmatism and efficiency, while ensuring that he considers all options, including settlement when appropriate, so as to achieve a favourable outcome for his clients from both a legal and commercial perspective.
Prior to joining the firm, Basel worked as a lawyer for a boutique construction law firm where he acted for developers, builders, contractors and owners. During this time, Basel frequently appeared in the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal, Magistrate’s Court, County Court of Victoria and regularly appeared as the instructing solicitor in the Supreme Court of Victoria for matters which involved disputes pertaining to defective and incomplete works, delays, extensions of time, latent conditions and claims brought under the Victoria’s Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act 2002 (and equivalent in NSW).
In addition to the Law Institute of Victoria, Basel is a member of Society of Construction Law Australia, Building Disputes Practitioners' Society, Housing Industry Association and Property Council of Australia — Victoria Division.
Basel was admitted to practice in 2017, after completing a Bachelor of Economics and a Bachelor of Laws from the University of Western Sydney and holds an Advocacy Certificate from the University of Technology Sydney.
Areas of practice
- Drafting, reviewing and advising on AS, MBAV, HIA and bespoke contracts for ‘design and construct’, ‘construct only’ and construction management and builder’s side deeds
- Contract management, including issue of and response to notices under contract
- Dispute negotiation and risk allocation
- Pre-litigation advice
- Claims and responses under Security of Payment Legislation (Vic)
- Disputes under contract and at law relating to performance of and payment for works, delays, extension of time, latent conditions and acceleration of works
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Society of Construction Law Australia
- Building Dispute Practitioners' Society
- Housing Industry Association
- Property Council of Australia — Victoria Division
Admitted to practice
- 2017 — Supreme Court of New South Wales